Warning:

Today's post(s) may contain graphic (some might say "intimate") descriptions of events (and anatomy), and may not be suitable for all readers. Some things, once known, cannot be un-known ;P

New Readers: This blog is funniest (totally biased opinion) if read from earliest to most recent post - so start at the bottom! And please "follow" if you like it!

Thursday 21 April 2011

Linea Nigra

A.K.A. "that gross line up your belly".  I got one.  I hated it.  I remember looking up pictures of them on the Internet after reading about them in "What to Expect When You're Expecting", horrified, but confident in the knowledge that I didn't have one.  And then I looked...and it was super-faint...but it was there!  I have my friend, Cassandra, to thank for spotting that one.  This was only weeks into my pregnancy!  And it only got worse: darker and thicker.  Mine went from down low, up to my belly button - and I guess I should be happy about that, because some women get them up higher than that, and they can do weird things like curve and swirl!  But the lucky girls...they don't get them at all.  I hate those girls (in a most-affectionate way ;)).  The worst was that after I gave birth, the line appeared even darker!  I'm no doctor, but my inexpert opinion is that this happened because, once there was no baby inside me, the skin wasn't stretched anymore, so it gathered and condensed, and got yuckier.  The good news is, it went away - completely - and with no painful and expensive laser therapy (unlike my face :( more on that later), and I don't fully recall, but I think it was gone within a couple months after birth.

Here is a lovely, and very thoughtful paper cut-out potato-person version of me (I'm the one on the right...in the bikini...with the visible linea nigra), also courtesy of the above-mentioned Cassandra.  She is such a sweet girl... :s



Did you get a linea nigra?  Or are you one of those lucky bitches I hate (just kidding - still love you!)?

2 comments:

  1. Yes I did. I woke up one morning and boom-it was there. probably around 7 months i think. Mine was thicker below my belly button, but it also went above, but thinner. So you can love me for that. You can also love me because my baby is 5 months today and it still there, but much fainter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Sisters in Arms! Or bellies...or whatever. It made me feel like an animal for some reason - like a primate, maybe. Yuck. But mine was pretty bad and is all but invisible, so I have hope for you, too :)

    ReplyDelete